Do not confine your children to your own learning, for they were born in another time – Chinese Proverb
There are no shortage of apps in the “Interactive Whiteboard” arena and over the years, I have tried most. While many of the similar apps have great features that make them unique, I have found the Educreations app to be my go to in this market. I showed my students in about 3 minutes how to use it yesterday and sent them off on their own to create videos. Amazingly, they did so quickly and without having to come to me for any help!
Why Educreations Rocks!
- Quick and easy set-up
- User friendly interface
- Ability to use camera to insert pictures, as well as ability to adjust pictures to your desirable size
- Records your voice, drawings, typed texts, images, and hand-writing ALL with the ability to pause
- Allows you to add more than one page, to create a video presentation (which you can flip back in as well)
- Crowdsource for content – not only are your videos stored, but you can search video tutorials made by others as well
- The videos are embeddable too, allowing you to easily add them to a class website
- Student accounts can be linked to teacher’s “Course” using a code, and do NOT require an email to register
- Printing options
Ideas for use in the classroom:
- Assessment of student’s knowledge (because who doesn’t love an alternative to pencil and paper?)
- Flipping the classroom
- Creating tutorials for students to revisit at home when extra help is needed
- Study Guide
- Have students create videos to share their thinking
- Reading responses
- Oral paragraph writing
- Reading fluency practice – child reads the book and records, then replays it to rehearse
- Digital Storytelling
- Jig-Saw Activities
- Parent – Teacher Communication
- Digital portfolios
- Step-by-step instructions
Time Saving Tip:
To restart a recording while recording the lesson, you can tap on the Eraser tool and then tap a second time to get a menu. The menu will have a Clear Recording option that will clear the audio, but leave the slides in place.
They do not yet have a way to re-record the audio for a lesson that you have already saved or a way to undo part of the audio. However, they are looking to add this feature in a future version of the app, so stay tuned!
- Dangling in Mid-Air Over Flipped Classroom (teachusa.wordpress.com)
- Flipping Your Classroom #flippedpd #flip (mguhlin.org)