Pinterest is a great resource for teachers that I constantly use, except that this year I found myself blocked at work! Looking for an alternative means to share resources and websites with fellow colleagues, I came across SymbalooEDU. For what I was looking for it worked perfectly and it also had an added bonus- it is already full of tons of EdTech resources!
What It Is
SymbalooEDU is a free, fully customizable, educational tool that allows teachers (or students) to save their online resources in the cloud with access from any device. It is very similar to Pinterest, however it differs in that it doesn’t require an image to pin. User adds “tiles” (sites saved as a tile) to a “webmix” (collection of tiles) and can easily share them with colleagues and/or classes.
Why I Love It
- Teachers can easily save their favorite Web2.0 sites to a “webmix” with just a few clicks.
- Registered users can access resources available on any device.
- There are tons of already great webmixes out there that you can easily search for, and add to your collection.
- When you update a webmix, even after you’ve shared it, those you shared it with will also see any changes you’ve made automatically.
- Makes collaboration seamless!
How I Use It
I created a great homepage webmix for my classroom computers, so students don’t waste time typing in long URL’s or searching for a bookmark! It’s also available on my class homepage and Edmodo page, so students can access these sites at home quickly! Last, it has allowed me to store and share many Common Core Resources with fellow teachers, as well as helping me to locate a wealth of new ones.